When fires occur in New York City, they can be devastating. In such a highly populated city, fires can have higher consequences. Many fires occur when buildings are not compliant with fire code. Staying in compliance can help save lives and protect property.
What is an FDNY Violation?
The Fire Department of New York (FDNY) is the world’s busiest and most skilled emergency response agency. Their goal is to protect life and property throughout the five boroughs. One way they accomplish this is by enforcing public safety codes. Properties that are not in compliance with the New York City Fire Code can receive an FDNY Violation. These violations can range from minor infractions to more serious issues that could even result in in the issuance of a criminal summons. Violations can be issued during an FDNY inspection or due to complaints to the City.
What are the types of FDNY Violations?
- FDNY Summons – If you receive a FDNY Summons the unsafe condition must be corrected and you must provide proof of corrections to the FDNY within 35 days.
- Criminal Court Summons – Criminal Summons are typically issued when a Violation Order is ignored. If you receive a Criminal Court Summons, you must appear in New York City Criminal Court. Consequences can include incarceration or major financial penalties.
- Violation Order – Violation Orders are issued when imminent fire hazards are present. If you receive a violation order you must correct the issue before then deadline or risk facing serious consequences such as a Criminal Summons or Vacate Order.
- Vacate Order – A vacate order prohibits people from entering the building until the issue is corrected.
How to Avoid FDNY Violations
To avoid receiving FDNY Violations, you must remain in compliance with fire code. There are many common violations that can be avoided if you take the following steps:
- Get a specified fire safety permit and submit a copy of permit fee receipt.
- Maintain and provide fire safety records.
- Provide or maintain required postings, signs, notices and instructions.
- Install and maintain required fire protection systems and prevent unwarranted alarms.
- Obtain Certificates of Fitness and Certificates of Qualification.
- Conduct fire-safety inspections and testing.
Need Help with Violations Removal?
W&M Fire Protection is a NYC fire protection contractor that can assist you with the violation removal process. We will help you correct unsafe conditions by providing fire protection system repair, inspections, retrofits, upgrades and more. After the condition is corrected, we will provide you with the necessary documentation required to have your violation removed. W&M can serve customers throughout the 5 boroughs of New York. To learn more about the services we provide and how we can help you, contact us today.