If you have a building with a fire sprinkler system, a monthly, quarterly or yearly inspection is required to ensure the system is functioning properly and will be employed upon the event of a fire. When the fire professionals come in for inspection, they will leave tags on each riser of your sprinkler system, and on each fire extinguisher.
Fire Sprinkler Inspection Tags
Inspection tags will be 7×3.5” and will be green, yellow, orange, or red in color. The tags are indicators of the health of the system and are specific to the area in which they are attached.
Green tag: System is fully operational
Yellow tag: Non-critical deficiency, owner notified, 30 days to correct
Orange tag: Critical deficiency, owner notified, 30 days to correct
Red tag: Impairment, FDNY & owner notified, immediate correction required
A yellow, orange or red tag should have a written notification of the problem, to reiterate the verbal notification given to the building owner.
In the case of a single sprinkler system, in a standalone building with a single occupant, fire code allows for a single tag on the sprinkler main, instead of tagging each riser (all floors still need to be inspected). If the building houses multiple occupants and has risers that provide water to different occupants, each individual riser must be tagged.
In order to ensure the legitimacy of the tags you receive, make sure they include the following:
- “DO NOT REMOVE BY THE ORDER OF THE FIRE MARSHAL”
- Licensed firm or contractors name, address, phone number, and Fire Marshal license number
- Printed name and Certificate of Fitness number of service person/contractor
- Signature of service person/technician
- Day, month, and year (to be punched)
- Name and address of owner/occupants
- Building address
- Type of Inspection, testing and maintenance (monthly, quarterly, annual or five year)
- Static and flowing pressure of the main drain test taken at the time of inspection, testing and maintenance service that was performed
Quality Fire Sprinkler Inspection and Maintenance
W&M Fire Protection can assist you in ensuring your building is in compliance with the FDNY tags, we are up to date on all requirements and regulations. We offer affordable inspections and maintenance for your fire sprinkler system. After inspection, we will replace all of your tags with current tags that are good for one year. If you draw any red or yellow tags, we can provide service to resolve the issue.